Portrait of Mary Blathwayt with her brother, William, and her mother, Mrs. Linley Blathwayt, outside their family home in Batheaston in September 1929.
The Blathwayt family grew close to Annie Kenney as Mary took on a central role with the WSPU, continuing this relationship even after the schism in 1911-1912 as the Blathwayts encouraged women who visited their home to turn away from violence. Across from their home, Eagle House, was the site of Annie's Arboretum, a plantation where suffragettes planted trees. The family cared for the plantation for over 50 years until Mary's death, at which time the land was sold and the trees torn up to build a housing estate.
Kenney Papers, University of East (UEA) Anglia Archives
Copyright: Estate of Mary Blathwayt. All rights reserved. Included here by kind permission of later generations of the Blathwayt family.